Monthly Lectures — Visitors Welcome
For those who question whether life has a meaning and a purpose. For those who despairingly ponder whether one can live without self-deception or without hedonistic escapism; yet who, despite the anguish of life's futility and meaninglessness, still seek purpose and an authentic existence.Enquiries: David Miller, Secretary.
Telephone: (03) 9467 2063.
Mail: PO Box 1111, Bundoora, VIC, 3083, Australia.
First Tuesday of the month at 8 pm.
Unitarian Church Hall, 110 Grey Street, East Melbourne.
Melways Map 2G, D2. View location in Google maps
A question-to-the-speaker period follows the lecture.
7 Feb 2017
Dr. Gordon Preece (Ethos Centre for Christianity and Society)
- "Re-Tayloring the Secular Towards Transcendence: Charles Taylor's 'A Secular Age'"
7 Mar 2017
Dr. Maurita Harney (Historical and Philosophical Studies, University of Melbourne)
- "Anticipatory Being: Re-thinking the Concept of Agency"
4 Apr 2017
Assoc. Prof. Janice Richardson (Author, 'Law and the Philosophy of Privacy')
- "The Philosophy of Privacy"
2 May 2017
Dr. Nick Trakakis (Philosophy, Australian Catholic University)
- "The Philosophy of Absolute Idealism: An Overview and Defence"
6 Jun 2017
Dr. Pierre Van Osselaer
- "Michel Foucault and the Quandary of the Body"
4 Jul 2017
John Ebel (Existentialist Psychotherapist)
- "The Existentialism of Simone de Beauvoir"
1 Aug 2017
Dr. A. L. Jones (Author, 'The Gender Vendors: Sex and Lies from Abraham to Freud')
- "Freud's Fantasy"
5 Sep 2017
Dr. Colin Goodwin (Independent Scholar)
- "The Existentialism of Sir John Eccles, Neurophysiologist and Philosopher"
3 Oct 2017
Dr. Vaughan Rapatahana (Writer, Poet, Critic)
- "Colin Wilson as Existential Outsider"
7 Nov 2017
Melbourne Cup Day Lecture
Les Allan (RationalRealm.com)
- "Is Morality Objective?"
3 Dec 2017
Dr. Kevin Orrman-Rossiter (Research, Innovation and Commercialisation, University of Melbourne)
- "The Problem of Scientism"